Longtime Austinite Fannie Wilson offers this recipe for Independence Day. “My grandmother used to make this salad for summer lunches, especially around the Fourth of July, because it was red, white and blue. Though I substitute bananas for white meat squash, and blueberries for dewberries, it’s basically the same as Grandma’s. We used to eat it on the porch of her big old home on 14th Street near the Capitol. I looked around and finally found the recipe online (diamondnuts.com).”
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
· 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
· 2 teaspoons honey
· ½ teaspoon salt
· About six cups of mixed greens
· 1 small box of blueberries
· ½ small basket of strawberries, cut and quartered
· 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese (or feta)
· ¼ cup chopped walnuts
Whisk together the salt, honey, olive oil, lemon zest and lime juice. Mix half that dressing with the greens and toss well, place in serving bowls.
Top with washed blueberries, strawberries, cheese and walnuts. Pour the remaining dressing over the top and season with black pepper.