Ren Hutchinson passed along this month’s recipe that came from her great-grandmother, who she explains grew up on a windswept farm in Oklahoma where she homesteaded with her parents in the late 1800s. She says the recipe has been a family favorite for years: “My Grandmom marked “Delish-ous!” on the recipe card, and that’s how good it is.” She served it for lunch and brunch every spring.
· 4 slices of cured bacon
· 10 ounces of freshly picked spring peas
· ¼ small red onion, chopped or sliced
· 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated or cut in small cubes
· 2 hard-boiled eggs, cooked and chopped
· 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
· 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
· Watkins freshly ground pepper
· Salt to taste
Cook the bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper or kitchen towel until cool.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the bacon, peas, onion, cheese, and eggs. Stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately on fresh, washed greens.