Volunteers are a key to Pioneer Farms’ success. By donating your time and talent, you help Pioneer Farms build toward an exciting future. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities to fit your time schedule and interests. Come join the fun!
- Complimentary admission to events and programs
- HistoryRewards program
- Flexible time commitments
- Monthly newsletter
- Learn about Texas history and meet others with similar interests
If you are interested in applying, please complete an application available here and send it to us.
(Ages 18 and older)
Experience a unique look at history and become part of Pioneer Farms unique opportunities. We believe we’re the best volunteer gig in the Austin area!
Explore different ways you can volunteer your time and abilities:
- Special Events — Help at special events like Halloween, Christmas, May Day Festival and Independence Day
- Costumed Interpreters — Dress in period costume and help recreate l-fe during the 1800s in one of our five historic areas.
- General Store Clerks — Assist shoppers operate cash register, organize displays and stock merchandise.
- Guides and Greeters — Meet groups when they arrive at Pioneer Farms, provide information and escort them as they tour the museum.
- Artisans — Work in our historic wood shop, blacksmith shop and textile areas, first as an apprentice and then as a tradesperson
- Maintenance Staffers — Assist in behind-the-scenes restorations and help with maintaining our inventory of historic Texas buildings. Previous experience is necessary.
- Gardeners — Plant, maintain and harvest gardens in the historic areas.
- Curatorial Specialists — Learn about Texas history while maintaining artifacts, researching items, as well as clerical support.
- Office Support — Assist with tasks in several departments that may include monthly mailings, data entry, filing and general office support.
Learning is the primary focus of Pioneer Farms’ youth volunteer program. We aim to give talented young people the opportunity to become even better. If you are passionate about Texas history, love speaking to people and enjoy the rewards of old-fashioned sweat and effort, this program may be for you!
Youth volunteering is allowed in most of the same areas available to adults, with the exception of artisans’ slots that are available with parental participation or permission for ages 15 and older.
We also offer community service opportunities for youths who are working off court-ordered volunteer hours, for both young men and women, usually on Saturdays and Sundays. Call 837.1215 to schedule your service times.
Build your corporate team spirit by volunteering together, for special events or special projects. Volunteer as a department, as individuals or company-wide as a way to give back to our community. By request, we can make a special presentation on your company offices to explain these opportunities to your employees.
Contact our Outreach Department at 837.1215 for more information.