Austinite Carol Peterson sends this month’s recipe for a summer pea salad that she is “just like the one that was passed down through my family, from frontier times.”
· 1/3 cup sour cream
· 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
· 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
· 4 cups fresh green peas
· 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
· 1/2 small red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
· 6 ounces, cubed cheddar cheese
· 3 Tablespoons minced parsley
· Salt and pepper to taste
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and vinegar together to make the dressing. Stir 2/3 of the dressing into the peas until they are coated. Gently stir in the bacon, onion, cheese, and parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate with extra dressing for 2-4 hours before serving.
Remove from the fridge, stir in the rest of the dressing to taste and sprinkle with parsley before serving.