With the cold and flu season upon us, third-generation Austin resident Janis Walton sends along the following family remedies that she says have worked for generations:
· To sooth a sore throat and dissipate phlegm from a bad cold, sip the following: Hot water, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey.
· Or, for the same symptoms, add a bit of hot pepper, 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice from a lemon to a large cup of tea.
· If you have nausea from the flu, rub 5 drops of peppermint oil around your navel. And if you have congestion, put a drop on your tongue and inhale.
· Gargle salt water three times in 5-second intervals, four times a day, to relieve a sore throat or nasal congestion from a cold.
· For winter ear aches, put one drop of warm garlic oil or a small garlic clove in in each ear for 30 minutes a day.